Playing a top racing game with a Logitech G27 steering wheel will provide a sense of realism on a completely new level. For the record, this product is an upgraded version of the great G25 from the company.
This set or racing game controller comes with a wheel and the pedals. Bolt them securely to your desk and under the feet, to provide the experience of riding a virtual car inside the gameplay. Satisfaction and visual realism are just all you need.
However, you have to pay a large amount of money to enjoy the privilege. Playing all the recommended racing games would be a lot of fun with the controller set from Logitech. The question remains, what do you really in this device?
- Type: Logitech G27 Racing
- Compatibility: Sony Playstation 2/3, Xbox 360, PC
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista, XP, 7, or later
- Included Accessories: Power Adapter
- Warranty: 1 year
- Product Set: Wheel, Pedals, Gearshift lever
Logitech G27 Vs G29
For the record, Logitech G29 is the updated version of Logitech G27. Some reviews would argue that it is just a repackaged model. There are still some obvious distinctions although they share many similarities.
Well, the Logitech G27 and G29 are solid proof of reliable gaming racing wheels. The sensor used by the controller is one of the huge differences. One has the optical; another has the hall-effect one.
The other difference is in the compatibility. The newer model is compatible with Playstation 4 and macOS, while the G27 is playable with Playstation 3 and PC.
From the body appearance and design, you well aware that there is an obvious difference in the button placement. The G27 has a directional pad on the shifter, eight buttons, and six more buttons.
Meanwhile, the G29 has the controls on the wheel packed with some buttons for adjustment and a new knob.
The hall-effect sensor will deliver more accurate movement detection than the one we are about to review in this article. On the other hand, the G27 has an optical sensor that can also give you a decent experience of gameplay.
For its compatibility, the Logitech G29 is wider than the G27. The newer model supports playing in PlayStation 4. The reason is that the older version does not have the security chip required for verification and authentication.
If you play a computer game, both of the racing wheels can work just fine. For those who have Playstation 3, do not bother to get a new one. For the design, the G29 looks like it is really for today’s gamers.
The Logitech G27 Features
This high-end Logitech G27 steering wheel manufactured by Logitech offers some rich features with almost anything you need for a controller. There are the standard gearshift paddles that are connected. You can get it right behind the steering wheel.
While turning the wheel to the left or right, you could feel that they move along. It would make the user easily gear down or up while cornering. They also have a comfortable distance in between. If you have shorter fingers, it would feel a hit uncomfortable at first.
After a few use, it is going to be an easy peasy. Well, there is another option to do the shifting. Use stick-shifter. This one is a separate controller to the G27 main body. It can also act as the shift-stick and variety of controls.
What is stick-shifter? It is a six-speed configuration, which moves through the gears easily. It has the gear knob that looks like the one you can find in real cars. However, this one is a bit smaller. It would be uncomfortable at first, just get used to it.
On the stick-shifter, you can also find reverse gear. Just press the knob down. As said before, there are some buttons to use for the menu system controlling. You can see the four-way D-pad and the other four buttons. Under the D-pad, you can see four red buttons with displayed functions.
As part of the set included in the box, there is the pedal control. It consists of three pedals, a clutch, accelerator, and brake, just like the real cars.
A high-quality plastic casing accommodates the pedals in. It feels sturdy once you have a nice press. Many users would feel that the pedals are rather too close to each other. The space between each pedal should be a little bit wider.
It may feel a little awkward for those of you who drive a real car every day. You only need to get used to that. You might also find the pedals need an amount of force to press.
The one for the brake is quite hard to push in, although all of them feel responsive enough to give you a real driving experience.
Instead of the floor, it is advisable to use the pedals on a carpet. That is because there is no-slip grips feature to keep the unit in place while you are playing the game.
The Logitech G27 has an excellent build quality. Look at the steering wheel. It has a leather-like material on its body, so the gamers would be easy to grip. Holding it is so comfortable for quite a long time.
Thick aluminum that feels solid is what constructs the steering wheel. The paddles also use similar material. On the rear, it has a smooth feel, although many users prefer to have a coarser surface.
The plastic housing of Logitech G27 is of high quality. You will use it for a long time. However, do not let the unit falls from the table. It could cause some cracks. The pedals are made of thick aluminum, too, and it works well.
For the buttons, they are all easy to press, responsive enough, and of good quality.
Also Read: Logitech G27 Drivers
Logitech G27 Setup for PC
The settings of the controller unit are according to the game you are playing. If it is for racing games, no complicated setup exists. However, you can set it to be comfortable and best for yourself to play.
- The first thing do is to download the Logitech Gaming Software and install it afterward. Find the file in the official website support for the product. After that, you can open the Logitech Profiler program.
- One thing to remember, in this Logitech G27 review, the setting comes from a guide for a specific car driving game called The Crew.
- Next, you should create a profile for the game. Click Profile, then New. Then, select Browse then find the location of the installed software.
- After that, choose The Crew file and then Open. The next things are to name the profile The Crew and to choose to use the game icon and click OK.
- It is time to profile setting for The Crew. Select Edit then chose Specific Game Settings…. Then, check the Use Special Force Feedback Device Settings. After that, set the Overall Effects Strength to 70% and 0% for the other.
- Keep the Enable Centering Spring unchecked and the Centering Spring Strength in 0%. Next, check the Use Special Steering Wheel Settings and leave the Report Combined Pedals without a tick.
- Set the Degrees of Rotation to 430 degrees. Then, check the Use Special Game Settings and leave the Allow Game to Adjust Settings unchecked. After that, click OK.
- Next, go to Options and choose Global Profiler Settings. For the type of profile to apply, choose Apply Profiles to games automatically. For the General Behaviour, check the Switch selected device to ID 1.
- Recommended Games
To get you out of your confusion in choosing the game to play with the Logitech G27 driving force unit, check some of these recommended games.
– City Car Simulator: It is a simulation game recommended for first-time users. If you are new to the world of wheel controller, this is the one to play with. Inside, you will get the hand of traffic rules, in-city navigation, and road etiquette, just like driving in the real world.
– Need for Speed Shift: This NFS series will deliver a good track simulation for you. It has more advanced features than the first game. It is a nice recommended one to play for an amateur gamer.
– F1 2013: If you want to feel like a professional racer, try playing this game with your Logitech G27 racing wheel. It is one of the best semi-simulations of F1 racing. Awesome graphics on the screen will serve before your eyes.
– The Crew: This action-driving game is different from the others. It comes with an open-world concept located in the United States. This game is quite revolutionary.
– iRacing: This one is a real deal compared to the previous games. The game is for a professional level or racing. This mind-blowing simulation comes with a great balance of physics, visual, and deep customization. It is, for sure, not a recommendation for beginners.
The Bottom Line
Finally, Logitech G27 is a great unit to support your gaming experience and get it to the next level. Even though it is an older model released in 2010, this high-end racing wheel would still meet the gamers’ needs.